This jar was used for fish paste. The jar was manufactured by F & R Pratt of Fenton. There were very keen competors to the Pratts in the very early days of the fish paste jar production. The pottery firm of T. J. Mayer supplied the Pegwell bay fisheries for many years up till 1875 then Pratts supplied the Pegwell Bay fisheries with their jars. Note this jar has the original lid with it, the top was wood and it has a cork seal attached.