It’s tempting to jump in and get started on your collection immediately.
But a few minutes thinking about what you would like to do will make it smoother when you start, as you will know what you want to do, and have the information to hand.
Of course, everything is editable, so you can always come back later and change things. Think of it as a bit like writing a book: you do a first draft, then later you refine it into a final draft. However, you do need to have a storyline in mind before you begin!
The Step-by-Step Wizard
When you start your collection, The Collecting Bug takes you through a step-by step Wizard:
- input some details about your overall collection
- add photos of your first item
- create a custom template for your collection (that is, the field names you would like to use)
- add the data about your first item
- check that it all looks OK (or change it)
- input the URL you would like for your collection
- Done - Your collection is started with your first item on display!
So before you get started, be prepared with the following:
- What would you like to call your website?
- What Custom Fields (eg Date, Manufacturer, Country, Provenance etc) you would like to use?
- Have a first item ready to load – some photos and the information about the item
Of course, that is a very brief overview - there are more details and Step-by Step instructions in the next article Start Your Collection.
- Look through other collection websites first and get ideas and suggestions from what others have done
- Almost everything is editable, so don’t be worried about changing your mind later and making changes
- Start simply, then build on that as you wish
- Would you like a brief chat or email with a real person about your collection and how to get started? We are a friendly bunch, and love to talk collecting – whatever your collection! We are always happy to help out with a few practical suggestions – just send us an email with your query. Also, we often do beta testing, and in return for your feedback, we will assist you set up your whole basic website!
Start Your Collection